I will spare you the visuals but wanted to update on my composting experiment from March. After a few months of maintenance, internet research and home bug remedies, I am terminating the compost. Without going into too much details, it became a liquified rotten pool of bug playground (yes, I turned it often and no, I did not overfeed it...but it may have gotten too much rain in through the lid). Some updates from the video I used as reference showed that their bin didn’t fare so well either.
I miss Seattle where all apartments had access to yard waste composting. That would make life much easier.
In summary, the experiment was worthwhile even if it failed. I learned a lot and most importantly can eliminate it from the activities that I would design for parents and children to do together.